About VIE’s short-term program for individuals
Greater Victoria School District International’s short-term program offers international students various opportunities to attend school and study alongside Canadian students of similar age. By participating in a Canadian classroom, students will have a chance to improve their language skills, communicate with native speakers on a daily basis, and develop cross-cultural adaptation skills while living at home with their Canadian host families.
Classes for the short-term program include the following:
- ELL instruction and support (if required)
- Academic courses
- Elective courses
- Fine arts
- Business education
- Applied skills
Students can also participate in all extracurricular activities and/or trips that take place throughout the duration of the program.
- Offered to: International students in Grade 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 (13-18 years old)
- Program length: 3-4 months
Before applying, parents and students are encouraged to contact the VIE (Victoria International Education) office at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm availability of space. Once space has been confirmed, students can apply to the short-term program.
Applications and payment for the program must be received by the VIE office a minimum of six (6) weeks prior to the desired start date.
Please note that acceptance to the program is based on availability of space. It is recommended that students apply as early as possible as space fills up quickly.
Destinations for trips & excursions
For the 2023-2024 school year, the Greater Victoria School District International has arranged an array of trips and outings with additional fees to visit some of the most stunning destinations in Western Canada and even the Yukon Territory.
Activities and adventures include:
3-day Tofino adventure
- Scheduled from May 31st-June 2nd, students will take the bus to Tofino, B.C. and go on a series of tours to explore the area. The May/June trip also includes outdoor camping.
3-day Seattle tour
- From November 18-20th, students will head down to Seattle, W.A. for three days and two nights. During the tour, students will participate in events, entertainment, and games to win prizes.
3-day Whistler ski tour
- Between December 6-8th and March 27-29th, students will hop on a mini-coach bus and head to Whistler Village. Students will have a 2-day lift ticket to use, access to equipment rentals and a full-day lesson on how to ski.
1-day Mt. Washington ski
- Scheduled for January 3rd, students will be transported by coach to Mt. Washington (U.S.), where they will receive a full-day lesson on skiing. Tickets and equipment rentals are included.
4-day Rocky Mountain tour
- From March 16-19th, students will head up to the Rocky Mountains, where they will spend 3 nights in a hotel. Students will visit Pete’s Farm and participate in events, entertainment, games to win prizes.
3-day Yukon adventure
- On March 21st, students will fly to Yukon and spend two nights to view the aurora borealis and experience dog-sledding (optional activity for an additional cost).
Did you know?
Victoria was recently voted as one of the best cities in the world! Over 500,000 people took Condé Nast’s annual Readers’ Choice Awards survey to voice their opinions, where Victoria and Vancouver both made the cut. The survey considered everything travel-related: from hotels, restaurants and airlines, to the best travel destinations, cruises and tourist hotspots. Victoria, in particular, was favored for its scenic ferry ride from Vancouver, afternoon tea time at the Fairmont Empress hotel, and its accessibility to nearby forests and wildlife.
B.C.’s capital city also ranked 8th for the best food in the world, as voted for by readers of Condé Nast Traveller. Victoria’s diverse culinary scene, which includes Tokyo-style ramen, ‘reinvented’ fish and chips, and handmade pasta, emerged as fan favourites and is frequently referred to as a “fascinating mix of influences”.
2023’s Top 10 ranking for best cities for food in the world is as follows:
- San Sebastian, Spain
- Tel Aviv, Israel
- Naples, Italy
- Mexico City, Mexico
- Malaga, Spain
- Quebec City, Canada
- Melbourne, Australia
- Victoria, Canada
- Rome, Italy
- Seoul, Korea
Source: Victoria School District – Short-Term Program for Individuals, Victoria School District – Trips & Excursions, Two BC cities were just named among the best in the world for travel, These Canadian cities are among the best in the world for food