Soft Skills that international students must possess
One of the big mistakes that international students do is focusing too much on hard skills but not on soft skills. No doubt, hard skills are also important as they give you knowledge about the subject matter without which resume may be incomplete however, soft skills are non-technical skills that describe how you work and interact with others which are equally important. Unlike hard skills, they’re not necessarily something one will learn as a part of the course.
There are many soft skills in high demand in Canada. These skills are important because they are not specific to any one industry or job. If you have these skills, finding a job in any field will be easier. These skills reflect one’s communication style, work ethic, behaviour etc.
Some of the top soft skills in demand include:
- Communication: For any job, full time or part-time, communication is the key. It helps organizations and businesses to run smoothly. Having excellent communication skills help one find a job in any field. Students must practice their fluency in English, listening and speaking skills as much as possible so that they can communicate in a better way and clear their interviews in no time.
- Customer Service: Empathy, good communication, and problem-solving are core skills in providing excellent customer service. Businesses are always looking for individuals who have proper customer service skills. A few examples of good customer service include:
- Giving the customer a personal touch
- Going an extra mile for the customer
- Respond quickly to all customer queries
- Make the customer feel special
- Ensure proper Customer feedback
- Practice active listening
- Teamwork: Every Company wants that employees should work effectively and efficiently as a team. So, one should always be able to work with other employees and strike perfect communication and coordination.
- Problem-solving: Problem solving is the act of defining a problem, determining the cause of the problem and selecting alternatives for a solution. It also focuses on how the problem solving should be implemented. People who can solve problems quickly, efficiently, and effectively are always in demand. Once anyone masters the art of problem solving and are open to new ideas, they can find better ways of doing things by finding alternatives so that customers return happy.
- Analytical skills: Analytical skills are simply the ability to collect and analyze information practice decision making. These skills also hold an important and help solve a company’s problems and improve its overall productivity. It also includes data analysis and research. Students can show their analytical skills in the job applications by:
- by showing the problem-solving skills in a past situation
- showing experience using technical analytical tools (if they have)
- Creativity: By being creative, one can develop new ideas, methods, or ways to perform new tasks at work. Thinking out of the box to find solutions to problems is the best form of creativity the employees must possess. It also inspires the employees to work with each other as a team.
For a job interview, students must show their real life examples where they used their creativity to accomplish a task or solve a problem.
- Adaptability: One needs to adapt themselves according to the environment one works in. The more students get adjusted to the office setting or wherever they work, the more familiar they will get with their workplace. An adaptable person in the workplace can also easily keep up with the company’s changing priorities, customers and technology.
- Critical Thinking: Critical thinking is the art of analyzing and interpreting data or situations to make good decisions in the favor of the company. One should know how to analyze the facts and observations to form a sound judgment. It is self-disciplined in nature. It makes the thought process clear if any situation demands. Employers seek for these skills in their employees along with the other soft skills mentioned.
- Time management: It is very crucial for the employees to manage their time at work. It helps to complete the tasks in a timely fashion.
Below are some tips that would help to manage time:
- Organise your day well
- Set reminders
- Eliminate distractions
- Set deadlines
By possessing all these soft skills, international students can excel in their part-time jobs. So don’t waste time and develop these skills before applying for part-time jobs in Canada.