Like the tradition of Apple picking in North America, berry picking is an interesting activity that can be done in many parts of Canada during summer.
If you are also looking for the perfect summer plan in the lower mainland on a warm sunny day or just looking for fun ways to refresh your weekend, then picking fresh bright and red strawberries with your friends is the way to go!
You can pick your freshest and juiciest strawberries from the vine at farms in Delta, Surrey, Abbotsford, Langley, and many other places.
The farm will have buckets available for purchase by volume so you and your friends can gather as many berries as your heart desires. The price will go by weight.
Farms to visit
- Emma Lea Farms
A beautiful farm in Delta is the perfect destination where apart from strawberry picking, you can enjoy amenities like a stand that serves up fresh berry shakes, smoothies, and sundaes along with a kid’s play area, food truck on selected days, and a farm shop.
Location: 2727 Westham Island Rd, Delta, BC V4K 3N2
Timings: 9 am to 5 pm (everyday including Saturday and Sunday)
- Maan Farms
Maan Farms have an incredible store packed with their food products from pies to tangy sauces or chutneys and jams along with their own fruit vines. Every weekend they run a fun strawberry festival event. Their main attractions include yoga with goats, a corn maze, and a petting zoo. Overall, a great place to visit.
Location: 790 McKenzie Rd, Abbotsford, BC V2S 7N4
Timings: 9 am to 6 pm (everyday including Saturday and Sunday)
- Birak Berry farms
Located in the heart of Richmond, the farm grows six different varieties of strawberries and makes sure that the top-quality strawberries are produced and delivered to the market. The strawberry field is spread across 50 acres. Not just strawberries, you can also pick blueberries and sweet corn.
Location: 10133 Francis Rd #10117, Richmond, BC V6Y 3Z9
Timings: 8 am to 9 pm (everyday including Saturday and Sunday)
Points to be kept in mind while going for berry picking
- Always check with the farm for the current condition of berries as good quality berries are seasonal
- Call ahead or check farm websites for up-to-date availability
- No pets are allowed however they may accompany you around permitted areas of the farm
- In some farms outside buckets are not allowed so you may have to purchase from there
- Do not snack on the berries while picking
- Dress according to the weather
- Don’t forget sunscreen sun hat for sunny days and a rain jacket or rain boots for rains
- Strawberries are usually available in June, raspberries in late June or early July
- Blackberries and blueberries are available in July and early August
If you think this is an interesting activity to be done on the weekend, then why wait? Hurry! Go to your nearest farm with your friends and enjoy picking delicious strawberries!