Celebrate Father’s Day
Father’s Day celebrates the spirit of fatherhood throughout the world and is celebrated on the third Sunday of every June. The idea of celebrating this paternal bond came up in 1910 and since then, people from all over the world have been celebrating it every year. Different traditions and cultures have their ways of honouring fathers. Not just children, but even adults plan activities to celebrate fatherhood and the special men in their lives. Just like Mother’s Day and Children’s Day, this day also marks a special bond between father-son and father-daughter relationships.
Father’s Day also acknowledges the contribution of fathers to their children’s lives. It is a golden opportunity for the children to appreciate their fathers and not just that, even the father figures in their lives which are all the people who have played a vital or a significant role in their lives. Fathers do a lot for their children in every aspect like being with them always in every other way emotionally, mentally, or even financially.
How did the idea of Father’s Day originate?
The idea of Father’s Day was conceptualized after Mother’s Day. Mother’s Day was declared a national holiday in 1914 which lay the initial foundation for Father’s Day. Father’s Day started in 1910 to honour those men who had lost their lives in a mining accident in the US.
It is believed that Sonora Smart Dodd, the daughter of American Civil War veteran William Jackson Smart, was responsible for giving due recognition to Father’s Day. She was one of six children raised by their single father, and she thought fathers should be given their due recognition. She started with her request to make Father’s Day a national holiday. The local government supported her, and Washington was the place where Fathers Day was first celebrated in 1910. Gradually this day was accepted by all the nations worldwide and now it is celebrated with zest and zeal in almost 111 countries throughout the world.
When is Father’s Day in 2022?
Father’s Day is celebrated every year on the third Sunday in June. This year it will be on June 19, 2022.
What to do on Father’s Day?
The entire idea of celebrating Father’s Day revolves around making your father feel special on this day. Some would prefer having a relaxing Sunday with their father at home, while some would want to go out and do some activities such as camping, fishing, playing their father’s favourite sport, or making a special meal for him. If you are not a good cook, a surprise dining out is also a good option! One can also plan for brunch at their father’s favourite restaurant. Sometimes, presenting your father with a t-shirt with his favourite quote written is also enough to bring a smile to your father’s face!
Not just this, one can buy presents that your father might like such as neckties, chocolates, his favourite books, electronic gadgets that he is fond of, or a golf kit as most people of elder age are fond of playing golf. Kids love to present their father with handmade cards to make him feel extra special.
Father’s Day when your father is overseas
Being an international student is hard. It means spending years away from your family and not being together on special occasions. You can still make your father feel special by sending them cake or flowers online and making a few video calls throughout the day would make him feel special!
Other Gift Ideas
We have already discussed some activities that can be done on Father’s Day, now let us talk about some other gifts that you can give to your father. They are:
- Home-baked cake: What less than a delicious home-baked cake! It would do wonders to make your father happy. Bake a cake of his favourite flavour and see how magical it becomes!
- Recipe book: If your dad loves cooking, then presenting him with a recipe book of his favourite dishes is a good idea too.
- Activity Tracker or a Sports Watch: With this, your father can be extra cautious of his health and fitness. This is the perfect gift for your father which would also track his health and make him more healthy and fit.
- Photo frame: Gifting old pictures in a beautiful frame is the most heart-touching way you can give to anyone to make one feel special. You can make a beautiful Collage of your father’s pictures and can take the pictures from his childhood as well. It would surprise him the most.
- Favourite Perfume: If your father is fond of perfumes then, this would be the perfect gift.
- Karaoke night: If your father is fond of music, then there will be no better way of surprising him than this. Take him to a karaoke night nearby and make him sing his favourite songs.
- Cuff links: If your father has a lot of business meetings to attend, then this could be perfect for him too!
Father’s Day is more about celebrating fatherhood and making your father feel valued and special. If you still don’t know what to buy for your father, the best option is to take him shopping so that he can buy whatever he likes!
Hope these ideas help you surprise your father in a better way! Share it with as many people as possible so that everyone can celebrate the beautiful paternal bond with sweet surprises for their fathers.