Who can work off-campus?

International students have the option to work on and off-campus. In a previous article, we highlighted how students can work on campus, what the eligibility criteria are, and what options they may look out for on campus. In this article, we will focus on the eligibility criteria for the students to work off-campus.

What is a DLI or a Designated Learning Institute?

A designated learning institution is a school that is approved by the provincial or territorial government to host international students. If you wish to study in a college or a post-secondary school as an international student, the first step you will have to take is to check and make sure it is on this list of the designated learning institutes. After completing your studies, you can apply for the Post Graduate Work Permit only if you have studied at a Designated Learning Institute. A letter of acceptance is always needed from the designated learning institute to apply for a study permit.

Click here, to know more about the DLI.

Students must note that they can only work in Canada if their study program has started, not before that. Similarly, students must stop working the day they receive the notification from their college that they have graduated.

Do all DLIs have Post Graduate Work Permit Eligible Programs?

Students must note that not all DLIs make them eligible for the Post Graduate Work Permit Programs. The students need to check if their school has PGWP eligible programs or not. 

How to check if your college falls in the category of the DLI or not?

The following steps will help you check the same:

Step 1: Log on to the Government of Canada website.

Step 2: Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and you will find an option to choose the province or territory your school is in. 

Step 3: Type in the name of the school, institution, city, or any other necessary information. You will also find its DLI number and can check whether the school offers Post Graduate Work Permit eligible programs or not.

Step 4: Note down the designated learning institution (DLI) number and don’t forget to mention it under the section Details of intended study in Canada on the study permit application.

Who can work off-campus without a study permit?

There are certain conditions that the students must meet and fulfill to work off-campus. They are:

  1. Students must be studying full time at a DLI
  2. They are enrolled in a post-secondary academic, vocational, or a professional training program 
  3. The study program is:
    • At least 6 months long 
    • Leads to a degree, diploma, or certificate
  4. The student has started studying
  5. Already obtained their Social Insurance Number (SIN)

What if you are a part-time student at DLI?

In this case, students can work off-campus only if:

  • They meet the above criteria, except for the requirement to be a full-time student,
  • They’re only studying part-time, instead of full-time, because:
    • They’re in the last semester of the study program so they don’t need a full load to complete it
    • They were a full-time student in their program in Canada, until their last semester

How many hours students can work off-campus?

  • During regular semesters

Students can work up to 20 hours per week during regular school terms/semesters. The best part is that they can work more than 1 job to complete these hours provided they continue to meet the conditions of their study permit.

  • In between semesters

If the student is a full-time student both before and after the break to work full-time, they can work full-time for as many hours as they wish to if they’re on a scheduled break. The break could be the holidays in between semesters, such as the winter, summer, spring, or fall holidays. Also, they can even work overtime or work 2 part-time jobs which increases their hours of work. 

Students must note that they can’t work during a break that comes before they start their very first school semester.

Get a Social Insurance Number to work in Canada

The Social Insurance Number or the SIN is a 9-digit number that the Government of Canada issues to work in Canada. One can access government programs and benefits from this number. It is a private number so students should make sure that it is not to be given to anyone else but their employer.

Click here, to know how to apply the SIN.

Since you know the criteria for applying for the off-campus jobs, you must be excited to apply the same. Good luck in off-campus job hunting!

Check out our videos on the topic Post Graduate work permit for international students in Canada –

PGWP Part 1:

PGWP Part 2:

After the students complete their graduation, they get 180 days in which they can stay in Canada, but can’t work during this period. They can also apply for a Post Graduate work permit during this time frame. If they choose to do so, they can also apply for a study permit again.

The information is obtained directly from Government websites. The information has been gathered as accurately as possible at the time of writing. For the most accurate and up-to-date information, please check the Government’s official website.

Source: Work off-campus as an international student What is a DLI How to get SIN number  Post Graduate work permit Work Permit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Copyright & Disclaimer

The information on this site is for information purposes only. Canada International Student Magazine (CISM) assumes no liability or responsibility for any inaccurate, delayed or incomplete information, nor for any actions taken in reliance thereon. The information contained about each individual, event or organization has been provided by such individual, event organizers or organization, or third parties without verification by us.

Any form of reproduction of any content on this website without the written permission of the publisher, is strictly prohibited. CISM is operated by Canada International Student Magazine Inc. a trademarked company; all rights reserved.

Receive the latest news

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Get notified about new articles